News & Updates
- TBTI Digest, April 2017 Download TBTI Digest - April to learn about the recent project’s activities and outputs.
- We of the Sea – ZEPA: A real hope for our community ‘ZEPA – A real hope for our people’ is a new story in the ‘We of the Sea’ publication series. The story, written by Tirso Virgilio Villalba Pacheco and Viviana Ramírez-Luna, illustrates the development of th...read more
- Call for contribution: ‘Women & Gender’ cluster Special issue on Women and gender in fishery-related work and communities
(tentatively for MAST Maritime Studies)
Women and gender in fisheries are critical global topics. In the past 40-45 years feminist and gen...read more
- Article: Small-scale fisheries in the context of traditional post-harvest practice and the quest for food and nutritional security in Nigeria A new article written by TBTI members Shehu Latunji Akintola and Kafayat Adetoun Fakoya titled "Small-scale fisheries in the context of traditional post-harvest practice and the quest for food and nutritional security in...read more
- Report: The Symposium on European Small-Scale Fisheries and Global Linkages
The Symposium on European Small-Scale Fisheries and Global Linkages took place between June 29 – July 1, 2016 in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain. In total, 80 people attended this event in order to share and discus...read more
- Article: Reconnecting people, place, and nature: examining alternative food networks in Newfoundland’s fisheries A previous TBTI master's student, Chloé Poitevin DesRivières, has recently published an article titled "Reconnecting people, place, and nature: examining alternative food networks in Newfoundland’s fisheries".
- We have to listen to what matters to people
In the interview for the Gazette, Memorial University's official news site in October 2016, Dr. Ratana Chuenpagdee, TBTI Project Director, talked about her involvement with the Ocean Frontier Institute (OFI) and the ...read more
- Article: Crowd-Sourcing for Small-Scale Fisheries In a new article that highlights the utility of ISSF, Sam Andrews, a freelance journalist, points out that "ISSF aims to be more than an online database, with the information collected providing an opportunity for analys...read more
- New TBTI book: The Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines: Global Implementation The Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines: Global Implementation
S. Jentoft, R. Chuenpagdee, M. J. Barragán-Paladines and N. Franz (Eds.)
MARE publication series 14
In June 2014, FAO member-states endorsed the...read more
- Join the discussion on SSF and SDG14 in preparation for Ocean Conference SSF have been mostly ignored in SDG, except under Target 14b: "Provide access for small-scale artisanal fishers to marine resources and markets".
We have an opportunity to make sure that this topic (access to resource...read more
- TBTI Digest, March 2017 Download TBTI Digest - March 2017 to learn about the recent project’s activities and outputs.
[button link="http://toobigtoignore.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Digest_March_Final.pdf" window="window" size="x...read more
- Article: Sustaining ‘life below water and on land’, March 2017 Author: Prateep Nayak
Title: Sustaining ‘life below water and on land’ through collaboration, stewardship and reciprocity: Lessons from dolphins, seagulls and fishermen
TBTI member Prateep Nayak wrote a shor...read more
- Letter: Poor fisheries struggle with U.S. import rule, March 2017
A group of researchers, including several TBTI members, wrote a letter regarding the recent U.S. import rule requiring that seafood imported into the U.S. must come from fisheries that comply with the Marin...read more
- Special Issue: Fisheries and Food Systems: Cross pollinations and synthesis, Aug. 2016 Fisheries and Food Systems: Cross pollinations and synthesis
Edited by: Ratana Chuenpagdee, Philip Loring, and Moenieba Isaacs
This special issue explores the importance of small-scale fisheries to food systems an...read more
- Article: Small-Scale Fisheries versus Whale-Watching Tourism: The Story of Puerto López The Ecuadorian coast with fishing boats, Puerto López
Author: María José Barragán Paladines
Arcadia*, Spring 2017, no. 3
- Article: Grand Challenges in the Management and Conservation of North American Inland Fishes and Fisheries Authors: Abigail J. Lynch, Steven J. Cooke, T. Douglas Beard Jr., Yu-Chun Kao, Kai Lorenzen, Andrew M. Song, Micheal S. Allen, Zeenatul Basher, David B. Bunnell, Edward V. Camp, Ian G. Cowx, Jonathan A. Freedman, Vivian...read more